Sunday, July 25, 2010

July 24, 2010

Yesterday my aunt and I decided to drive about ten miles out of Bedford to go to Tunnelton, IN. I have never been to Tunnelton before and it's been about twenty years since Melissa went. The reason for our trip to Tunnelton had to so with trying to learn a little bit about our family history. We drove for awhile and wound up lost out in middle-of-nowhere, IN. After driving nearly forty miles, we wound up in the little town of Tunnelton. We did not find what we were looking for, but during our drive we did come across Indiana Scenic tour #6, which was located in Ft. Ritner. There were many interesting old buildings to take pictures of as well. After my aunt dropped me off at my house, my husband, Norris, and I got in the car and went back to Tunnelton. We started to look for The Big tunnel which was built for the CSX railroad line in 1857. I have heard of this tunnel referred to as "Tunnelton Tunnel" my entire life, but the stories behind it always had to do with supposed supernatural happenings at the tunnel. My quest to find the tunnel had nothing to do with any desire to see anything supernatural, it had to do with wanting to see and get some photographs of this historical tunnel in Indiana.

My husband and I took Tunnelton Rd. through Tunnelton and went under a little train trussel and immediately turned left onto River Road. We followed River Road for what felt like forever. We started out going south and eventually looped back around to head north. We eventually came back out on Tunnelton Rd. For anyone who is looking for The Big tunnel, it is helpful to know that Tunnelton Rd. turns into Devil's Backbone road and then turns into Ft. Ritner Rd. We came out on the portion of the road near Ft. Riter. We gave up searching for the Tunnel and decided that we would try again some other time.

Pics from the little "trip" with Melissa:






Pics from the little "trip" with Norris:





My husband, Norris, patiently waiting for me to take my photos!






No comments:

Post a Comment